Saturday 4 October 2008

The tell-off.

Here is part one.

"Where have you been?! I was worried sick! You should have been here by six and look at the clock now. It's half past seven!" said mum, her face lit up with anger and her cheeks all pink. Perhaps it is her complexion that makes it easy to detect whether she's blushing or angry, and i always use this to my advantage.

"I'm sorry but i was stuck in traffic" i answered sarcastically.

"What traffic?! You walked home!"

I could see from her face that she was dead serious. Not that i wanted to provoke her any more than i should have but i was tired and in need of a good rest and a hot bath. With depressed enthusiasm i lied and said that i bumped into an old friend and chatted away until i lost track of time. I assured her that it was all involuntarily done.

"An old friend eh? Okay, just as long as you're alright, that's fine by me. Next time try not to forget your curfews. Oh and you're grounded. For two weeks" said she, sternly.

With a grunt i said "Whatever". I'm too antisocial to even be outdoors, the grounded thing will be a piece of cake for me. Quickly i untied my shoelaces and took my red worn out converse sneakers off. It was my first pair of shoes that i bought three years ago and has been my constant companions since. I would wear them everytime i went out for a stroll or just an outdoor activity. Regularly i just wear them without socks because they make my feet all sweaty and uncomfortable.


But perhaps by and bye, when on soft wet green grass, i prefer to be barefooted. It is such a wonderful feeling to feel the grass sliding between your toes, tickle the funny bone out of you. After taking the shoes off i threw them on the floor and got up and i was headed to the stairs until my mother stopped me and inquired whether i'd like to have my dinner heated up in the microwave. My stomach was already rumbling like a rock band, so i said yes.

Then i continued to walk quickly up the stairs and into the heartwarming sensation of the solitude of my room.

"Hmphhh" i sighed with great satisfaction after i jumped myself on my bed, staring into the glow in the dark stickers that had always given me the security i needed when i was a boy who was afraid of the dark. Now they're just regarded as decoration to amuse myself in times of boredom and sometimes when my head is flowing with limitless imagination. Mom always said to peel them off and just paint the whole room. But i resented it and asked for my freedom in decorating my own room.


Then i remember the previous encounter with the foreign lady and concerning about the unusual rock that aroused my attentions. I reached my left hand in my left jeans' pocket and took the rock out. Somehow the rock has a weird effect on me, making me feel drowsy and sleepy.


I can see stars glowing in the ceiling and moons lighting up the room. The universe seems so vast and huge, which in turn condescends me to feel insignificant. Makes me feel small and unimportant. But then i noticed that there is something moving in the sky, moving with great speed. I can see it, it is a large star, or perhaps a meteor, with a distinct green crystal-like glow, speeding through the galaxy leaving a trail of dust and small particles behind. I felt a shiver down my spine, watching the meteor pass above the skies of earth, nearly entering it's atmosphere. Is this a dream? How can i see such an occurrence? Then, out of the blue, after making a distance away from earth, the meteor, in all it's glowing glory, flashed brightly than before and poof, it just vanished. It was just how i witnessed it in the sky this evening, only from a different angle and persona. Everything seemed so dark and cold. Like lifeless. Quiet, an eternal bliss covered the space.

"Strawberry, strawberry. Wake up. Your dinner's getting cold."

The sound of someone familiar entered my ears. I opened my eyes and there she was, the lady with the strawberry lips and short curly blonde hair, lights bouncing off of them. I was shocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment